Monday, December 1, 2014

12-1-14 Week 9 Vocabulary Words, Pronunciations, Definitions, and Sentences

Week 9 Vocabulary Pronunciations


Definitions:
1.  alliteration - the repetition of the same letter sound at the beginning of two or more words
2.  annihilate - to completely destroy, to wipe out
3.  belligerent - to oppose defiantly, to oppose in a hostile manner
4.  revulsion - a sense of disgust or loathing
5.  meddle - to interfere in something that is none of your business
6.  destitute - extremely poor; lacking resources
7.  eccentric - odd, whimsical, marching to a different drummer
8.  thwart - to prevent or hinder someone from accomplishing something
9.  umbrage - to take offense to
10.  squeamish - easily made to feel sick or faint

Sentences:
1.  "Carl cooks crab for Carlotta," is an example of alliteration.
2.  One army tried to annihilate the other during the war.
3.  The belligerent boy argued with his parents, and he finally was grounded for a month.
4.  I react with revulsion when I even smell green beans or Brussels sprouts.
5.  My little brother always tries to meddle in my plans.
6.  The man was so destitute, he didn't even have extra clothes or a place to stay.
7.  My sister is eccentric, so some people look at her funny, but I think she's cool.
8.  The defense was able to thwart the other team's attempt to score a touchdown.
9.  I take umbrage to that comment you made about my mother.
10.  If he is squeamish, it probably isn't a good idea to sit by him on that roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment